Monday, January 1, 2018

Happy New Year - A new goal!

A New Year
365 blank pages of a new book
12 chapters to write
How will you write 2018
 
Yes I am will start this blog post by stating the obvious, I have not written a post since September 10, 2017. The last few months have been very busy with work and grad school classes. I started working towards my doctorate in September and that kept me very busy this fall. However, I have missed writing my blog and sharing my stories with you. Writing this blog has always kept me accountable.

I always promised I would share the good, the bad, and the ugly when it came to my training, my weight and within the last 18 months post bariatric surgery updates. Just a week ago on Christmas Eve my cousin asked me if as time has moved on have things gotten easier when it comes to bariatric surgery? My answer was no. Yes, running and my workouts have gotten easier compared to doing it with 100 extra pounds. And, I feel great but you need to stay on top of things at all times.

As you get further and further away from your surgery date, you have more options when it comes to food. You can try more and sometimes the old demons come back to you. You don't want to go backwards but if you aren't paying attention, you find yourself mindlessly eating or taking in foods you really shouldn't. There are still a lot of foods that I don't have any desire to eat but mindless eating is always a problem.

So for 2018 one of my goals and resolutions is to start blogging again. I need to stay accountable to myself and by sharing it all with you, this helps me. I plan to write and update you every Sunday. I am hoping that by being honest with you and myself I will stay focused, catch the mindless eating and work towards my weight/health goals.

On August 17, 2017 I weighed in at 148 pounds. This made a total of 102 pounds down from my highest weight. Since August 17 my weight has been fluctuating +/- a few pounds and as high as 7 pounds. This is so frustrating especially since I do workout and train almost every single day. So it is obvious that I have to work on the mindless eating and watch my calorie intake. I would like to be down to 140 pounds by December 31, 2018. I was at 152.5 pounds on December 31, 2017. I think this is possible. Once again I will share this...this surgery is a tool...not a quick fix...you have to constantly be working it.

I have also been running and training over the last few months so I thought I would share some pictures with you that show some of my accomplishments and some fun I have had.

 In October I went to Detroit with my sister to complete the Detroit Full & Half Marathon. I completed my 3rd full marathon and my sister did her first half marathon. It is an international marathon as the course crosses over into Canada.

It was a great weekend and I would encourage others to head to Detroit for this marathon. I loved the medal and the ribbon had both the US and Canadian flag on it. I PR'd this marathon.

In November, I completed the Turkey Trot in East Longmeadow, MA with my sister and dad. This was my 6th Turkey Trot and I PR'd another race this year. My motto on Thanksgiving is move your feet so you can eat!


 In late November into early December I had to travel for work to DC and NYC. When I travel for work I always pack my running shoes because it is always the best way to see the sights in city. In NY the night before my run they officially lit the Rockefeller Christmas Tree. We couldn't even get close to the area that evening so the next day I got up early...before the sun rose and ran to the tree. It was a great time to be there...all the tourist were still in bed!




DC is always one of my favorite places to run. It is so peaceful in the early morning!!

Below is my workout calendar for December. Three rest days and a lot of running, biking, and swimming.

I started 2018 with a 10+ mile run as I train for another half marathon!!








2 comments:

  1. I enjoy your writing and glad you are continuing to be successful with your weighloss journey. Remember even the average person fluctuates weight 5-10lbs depending on the time of month/year. By being so observant (as you are) will just keep you on target. Good luck with your goals in 2018 and look forward to reading about your journey each week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! I appreciate your support!! I hope you are doing well!! Say Hi to Klatka!!

      Delete