Monday, January 15, 2018

A great way to kick of my 2018 race calendar!



How did you kick off your 2018? Since it is still January I am still reflecting on the past year and trying to make sure the resolutions I would like to do are a good fit as I shared during my last post. However, yesterday I competed my first endurance race of 2018!

Back in March of 2017 I was visiting a wonderful friend and her family for a few days in Naples, FL. Knowing that I do compete in races they shared with me that Naples has a half marathon in January. After checking it out I made the decision to register and hoped they would want my company again (they did).

On Thursday, January 11th I left upstate NY and some crazy weather patterns (50 degrees to sub zero in the matter of hours) to enjoy the sunshine and warmth of Florida. I have not been disappointed, although I would not mind it a tad bit warmer but I am not complaining. As I sit and write this post I am by my friends pool enjoying the sunshine!

The news reports regarding the weather was a cold front was coming in and with the wind chill it could feel like 30 degrees on Sunday morning. I know my northern friends are laughing at this. Although with the sun and cool temperatures it was perfect running weather, I was a bit nervous because I did not pack for these conditions.

The morning of the race to me was cold but I was going to make the best of it...at least there wasn't snow! I put on my running top, added a long sleeve throw away shirt and my friend Meghan lent me a pair of gloves. I was ready to go. I drove to the start and  there an hour before the gun was to go off. This was such a well organized event. They had parking for the runners in  area parking garages all very close to the start and finish lines with volunteers directing you to the entrances. There was plenty of port-o-potties for us nervous runners and volunteers walking around with "ask me" signs to answer any questions you may have had about the race.

The race was a mass start (with chip times) so we did not have to worry about corrals etc. The gun went off right at 7 AM and we were ready to go before the sun came up. I started my run talking myself though the first mile...don't go out to quickly...set your own pace...run your own race...if you feel good you are probably going way to fast.

Every mile marker on the course had a race clock. As I passed each mile I couldn't believe the times I was seeing. I didn't have my Garmin watch with me during this race because two days earlier it had died on me. I felt a bit naked but following the words of my coach and a few friends I listened to my body to indicate how was feeling. I FELT GREAT! My speed was good and I wasn't feeling tired. I was getting a bit nervous that I was going to hit a wall but that never happened, instead I got a bit faster.

One thing I experienced on this course that has never happened before, between mile 7 & 8 we passed a small church. It was before 9 AM so mass hadn't happened started. Out in front of the church was the Parrish priest sprinkling holy water on the runners as they went by! It made me smile but also reminded me that I was using the gifts that God game me and he was OK with that on a Sunday morning! On the way back from the out and back we passed the church again. This time the bells were ringing to indicated the start of the service and I took it as a sign...I was almost done and I was going to be ok!

I finished the race with a total time of 2:22:16...which was a PR and I had taken over 13 minutes off my time! They did advertise this course as a Flat and Fast course and they were not lying!! It was a wonderful race. Well organized with plenty of volunteers and a great course. It also was nice to have two very dear friends at the finish to cheer me on!

It was a great way to kick off 2018 and look forward to this next year and all the goals I have set! If you are ever in Florida in January and you want to run a half marathon...I strongly encourage you to put this one on you list! I know I will be back again!

No comments:

Post a Comment