Sunday, March 26, 2017

FINALLY!!



In September of 2005 I was training for my first marathon that was scheduled for October. Part of my training included signing up and completing my first half marathon. I ran the ARC Half Marathon in Liverpool, NY and finished in 2:51. For some that is a slow time but for me that record was held for over 11 years. As I continued to run half marathons I could never beat that time until today!

Today I stood on the start line of the Syracuse Half Marathon, my eleventh half marathon, ready to attack the course. I was nervous to start, not wanting to fail, but oh I couldn't wait for the gun to go off. Prior to leaving my house I wrote the finish time of that first half marathon on my arm. By the time I crossed the finish line, I looked at my arm and the numbers were gone. The sweat had washed them away and I had a new PR!! I completed today's half marathon in 2:34:26...my new fastest time! I covered the 13.1 mile course in negative splits and as I looked at my arm tears filled my eyes. As many of you know, finish lines make me cry, but today was special. I have worked very hard over the last few months to beat that 2:51 time and today I earned my medal!

Earlier in the week they were not calling for the best of weather. Not the worst that this race has seen but not the best. Thank God things changed, the rain stopped and the temperature stayed in the mid 30s. It was a great day for a run! I ran the entire course today and I never felt tired. I will admit that areas of my body became sore throughout the run like my hip and ankle but I never felt tired. The only time I stopped on the course was at water stop 11 because I had to hug and thank my friends who were working! Hugs are needed sometimes and seeing them was just what I needed to finish that race strong. Since I don't live in Syracuse anymore, it is great to come to races and catch up with so many friends! It's icing on top of the cake!!

One of the best things about crossing the finish line of a race is knowing that there is chocolate milk waiting for you and Byrne Dairy chocolate milk is my favorite! I shared with my friends today as I was enjoying my chocolate milk, that you know you are a faster runner when there is still chocolate milk left in the hospitality area when you finish. For so many years, when I would be the last or one of the last runners on the course, often the chocolate milk would be gone! I started to pack my own and leave it in a cooler in my car to enjoy. However, now that this body can move a little bit faster...I get to reap the benefits and enjoy my chocolate milk at the finish line!! It's the little things in life!

I want to take this opportunity to thank my friends for your support and encouragement today and every day! It was so good to see so many of you before, during and after the race! I miss my Syracuse Running/Triathlon community and it's nice to be with you when I can! You all inspire me to continue to do what I love...Swim, Bike & Run!!

Race Splits:
5K: 12:02/mile
10K: 11:56/mile
15K: 11:50/mile
finish: 11:47/mile

No comments:

Post a Comment