Tuesday, March 7, 2017

The Highs and Lows

Heading to the start line
With every workout and every race there are the highs and the lows. And every step you learn more about yourself and every step makes you stronger. Last week I had a scheduled run on my calendar, 50 minutes of running. I woke up with absolutely no desire to even get out of bed never mind actually run for 50 minutes. I had to actually force myself out the door and make a deal in order to just start running. I told myself that if I at least started running, after one loop if it wasn't in me I could quick. Next thing I know I actually completed the run and covered 4.2 miles. That was a high for me...I felt like I could take on anything that day.

Could the highs get any higher? Well the running highs could but the temperature was going to drop. On Saturday, March 4th I had signed up to run the Tipp Hill Shamrock Run in Syracuse, NY. I love this run. It is always a lot of fun and a very popular. It is a four mile course filled with hills and they are not easy but you can always find a friend on the course to get you over them.As the day approached the temperatures started to fall. At one point they were predicting a only a high of 10 degrees...this was not going to be fun.

Saturday came and there was snow and the temperature in the morning was all of 12 degrees but felt like -2 with the windchill. I bundled up and headed to the start line. I think the anticipation of the cold was worse than the cold itself but when the wind hit your face it hurt. The gun went off, the crowd started to move and before I knew it I was warmed up. I covered the four miles and as soon as I started I was already crossing the finish line in 42:53. This was the sixth time I completed this course and this year I PR'd it by 7 minutes...this was a definite high! I put it all out on that course and I walked away with a PR.

Of course what goes up must come down. As much as races and workouts can build you up they can humble you just as quickly. On Sunday, March 6th I was scheduled to run 6 miles. I had to travel for work and decided that I would wait and run when I arrived in Philadelphia. I started off the run and realized it would be a struggle. My legs were shot. I mapped out a course that would be two three mile loops. It took all I had to finish 3.5 miles. Some days you body just tells you it can't move, it's tired. I wasn't proud of this moment especially after I had such a successful day on Saturday.

This sport will raise you up and the next day it will humble you and bring you back down. This sport can challenge you and can make you stronger both mentally and physically. You have to struggle and dig down deep through the tough workouts in order to reap the benefits of the PRs.

Every mile earned, never given - unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment