Monday, September 5, 2016

Updates: 6 weeks tomorrow

Just completed 5 miles
This past week has been a busy one personally and professionally. As of tomorrow I am 6 weeks post surgery and even though I feel great and have had few problems I can say that it hasn't been easy. Prior to my decision to have this surgery I went to the bariatric support group to meet with other patients. I remember during that meeting a woman looked at me and said "there is nothing easy about this surgery". Well I can say without a doubt that this is true.

Every day I have to think about the amount of protein I eat. I have to think about not eating too fast or too much at one time. I can't drink anything while I eat due to the space in my stomach. I have to read every label and make sure there isn't any added sugar. Finally I am also limited on what items I can take in and not knowing how something is cooked makes a huge difference. I am not complaining because I am willing to do all of this in order to achieve success. However, I have to think about these things prior to going out with friends, going to the Great NY State Fair or traveling for work.

I have to admit I have not gone out for dinner or lunch. And I have not ordered out since the surgery. This past week was a first. I was traveling for work and I have to admit I was nervous. It was a quick trip down and back to NYC but what could I bring with me? Where could I eat? I had plans to meet two alumni for lunch so I had to plan what I could order. I checked out the menu online prior to arriving at the restaurant. You see if I order the wrong thing it can cause some serious problems. So I went with the gnocchi with a basic red sauce. Gnocchi is a very soft potato pasta which is allowed so far on my diet. Of course when my plate came I didn't even get through half of it but all was good and I made a great choice.

The pasta was a positive choice but earlier in that morning I made a cup of tea. When I usually make a cup of tea I add equal and skim milk. I drink tea like other people drink coffee so the fact that I am still able to drink my tea post surgery is a wonderful thing. So Wednesday morning on my way to NYC I was on the Cornell bus that travels from Ithaca to NYC daily. It is a relaxing way to get into the city. Someone else drives, there is free wifi, and free snacks and drinks. Around 8 am that morning I started to eat my breakfast and decided to have a cup of tea too. I forgot that on the bus they do not have equal or skim milk but I thought to myself how much trouble would a little bit of sugar and some half n half cause? Well I learned the hard way and I couldn't even believe how fast of a reaction my body had to these illegal substances! I didn't even finish the cup, I had probably two sips (it was hot). Well what happened next was not fun. I had indigestion, pain in my chest that felt like a heart attack, nausea and finally I was running to the bathroom (on a bus ) to get sick. Yes this is what was described would happen. They call it "dumping" (I am sorry for the word it doesn't even sound fun) and every bariatric patient I have talked with has gone through it, so there was my initiation! And I hope I never go through it again!

Once I returned from NYC I had plans to go to the GREAT NEW YORK STATE FAIR!! It is my annual trip and I will admit I love going! I was never the person who went to eat their way through the fair, in fact "fair day" was always my best diet day. However, prior to the surgery I looked forward to drinking some chocolate milk, having some Saranac root beer and if I wanted something else I knew I could get a sandwich or a burger without any problems. On this trip it was different, I couldn't have any chocolate milk or root beer. The one item I could still have was the $1 baked potato. I looked forward to it and I was very happy when I finally got through the line and picked up my baked potato. I think I was also the only person at the fair who packed her own food. I had to be prepared. With or without the food, I always enjoy the fair. It is a great place to walk around and the best place to people watch. Also where else can you see cows, pigs and goats!

So this week I also had some non-scale achievements. While at the fair I saw a booth that was selling running/workout clothes. So I stopped by. They had running tights for $19, I couldn't believe it. So I started talking with the guy working the booth and he told me that if I bought the tights I could get a top for $10! So I thought what's the harm in trying them on. Well this was a first both the top and bottoms fit and weren't tight. I was actually able to purchase normal people clothes. Of course the sales guy was very concerned that I had to have a matching top. I laughed and said well that would be a first because I never match when I run. I would put things on that fit. Now I have a matching outfit!!

The second non-scale achievement happened during the week. I had purchased some clothes at Kohl's with a coupon I had received. I was excited to purchase several items that were all in smaller sizes. Before I went to the check out I picked up two shirts that were on sale but I didn't try them on. When I got home one fit but the second one was too big. So today I had to return to the store and exchange for a SMALLER size! And finally tonight I went to the weekly support group of bariatric patients. I walked in a few minutes passed 6 and everyone stopped talking and looked at me. They were filled with congratulations and told me how wonderful I looked. I hadn't seen the group in about three weeks. It's nice for others to notice because sometimes its hard for me to see it every day.

Tomorrow is another day and I am excited to face each new one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment