Sunday, August 28, 2016

Dinner, digital numbers and shopping

It has been just over a month since my surgery and even though I have been adding certain food items back into my diet there are so many I haven't tried. There are even food items I haven't had the desire to try and others that I am afraid to try. However, that is all for another post. I will say that I have been wanting to add more flavors to what I have been eating. Can I add spices, will my body react negatively to what I add? So tonight I tried something. I made an individual lasagna without the noodles! Yes, you read that correctly I made a meat lasagna without the pasta! I had all the ingredients; sauce, turkey meatballs, ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese. I took a small baking dish for one and put some sauce on the bottom. I then added some ricotta cheese. In order not to use too much ricotta cheese, I mixed it with fat free cottage cheese, garlic salt, and oregano. I then added the turkey meatballs (2 oz total) which I cut up to create the third layer. Then it was more sauce, the ricotta cheese mixture and finally I sprinkled some mozzarella cheese. I baked this for 20 minutes and it was FABULOUS!!!

It was just the flavor I needed without a lot of calories. I measured everything:
Less than 1/4 cup of sauce
1/4 cup of ricotta cheese mixture
2 oz of turkey meatballs
1 tablespoon of mozzarella cheese

I really enjoyed my dinner tonight and I finished it off with dessert ... 1/2 cup of watermelon

In order to make this all work I have to weigh and measure all my food. I can not eyeball anything. For me this is the only way I can stay in control. Even though my stomach is smaller doesn't mean that my relationship with food is cured. This is something I need to work on every day!!

The other thing I have to work on every day is my relationship with the digital box or what is normally called the scale. Every time those digital numbers show up on the box and stare back they have a power over me. I have hid my scale for now. I am trying, very hard, only to weigh myself once a month. I need to focus on other things other than the numbers on the scale. This new journey is about more than just the numbers on the scale. One day at a time but for now the digital box has been hidden! September 20th should be my next  weigh in date!

So speaking of focusing on other things other than the numbers on the scale ... I went shopping this weekend. I had a coupon for Kohl's so I thought I should pick up a few things. I ended up purchasing two pairs of pants; a few shirts and a dress. I went into the store not really knowing what size I was, so I knew I would have to try everything on. After trying on several or should I say a lot of items, I realized that I am down 3 pant sizes and 2 sizes in the tops. This was a big day...and I am hoping I won't be wearing these new clothes for very long!

Always learning something during this new journey!





No comments:

Post a Comment