Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Work, Workouts and Eggs!!

 
It has been two weeks since my surgery and yesterday I returned to work. I returned to an overflowing email inbox and gratitude to be back on the job. After seeing the doctor on Friday and talking with my boss we came to the decision that I would return to work but only part-time for this first week. I have to admit I still get tired in the afternoon but getting back to work feels great.

Since being cleared to workout on Friday I haven't missed a day. Saturday and Sunday I ran. Yesterday I biked and today I walked. Needed to get something done but I was tired so I figured walking was better than nothing. The workouts have felt great but still need to keep them easy. Until I meet with the nutritionist I can't increase the miles or the intensity. I am hoping with the help of the nutritionist I can learn how to balance my nutritional intake with increasing my miles.

The biggest update I have for this week is I can start adding some solid food to daily intake. For the last two weeks I have following a liquid diet. The most solid item I was able to eat was yogurt. However, I had to add milk to it to make sure it was more of a liquid. The problem with eating yogurt every day is I don't really like yogurt. Prior to the surgery I ate yogurt occasionally but not every day. So after eating it for two weeks I was looking for something else. I am slowly adding certain items back into my diet like unsweetened applesauce, bananas and eggs. However, in order to add these items I had to go to Wegman's first.

On my list was Eggs, Milk, bananas, applesauce, gazpacho (purred veggies), chicken, and light mayo. I was never so excited to go grocery shopping. I went to get the soup first, then I picked up some chicken, bananas, milk and eggs. I then had to discover what was the best kind of unsweetened applesauce I should buy and also mayo with little sugar. Come to find out Mayo with olive oil doesn't have any sugar ... who knew?!?

The other item I was going to investigate was baby food. Yes, you read that correctly baby food! Due to the fact that during this period of post surgical diet everything has to be blended, mashed or pureed, many weight loss surgery patients suggested I try some baby food. It comes in the correct serving size, there is no sugar added and if you try the stage II jars they are usually chicken, turkey etc and they have plenty of protein.

Well first I had to find the baby food. Obviously, not having any children, this is not an item I normally buy. So as I wonder the aisles at Wegman's I finally discover that baby food  is not where I would have displayed it. Sure it is on the same aisle as diapers and baby wipes but it is not with other food, but that isn't important. I discovered a few things as I was checking out all the jars of baby food. First I feel bad for babies because none of the jars seemed very appetizing and second baby food is very expensive!! Well, after weighing all my options I decided on three Gerber jars (at .99 a jar) of chicken and gravy. When I get up the courage to try it I will let you know!!

In the mean time tonight I had a scrambled egg and a 1/4 cup of applesauce!! I love eggs!!

There is always an adventure on this new journey!

2 comments:

  1. Bjorn really liked the protein drinks and still drinks them to this day. The Costco variety in chocolate is his favorite but we've experimented with Muscle Milk and a few others. I think the brand is PureProtein.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bjorn really liked the protein drinks and still drinks them to this day. The Costco variety in chocolate is his favorite but we've experimented with Muscle Milk and a few others. I think the brand is PureProtein.

    ReplyDelete