Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Yoga

Downward Dog ... Pigeon...child's pose ... does this sound relaxing?  It is supposed to be...relaxing.  Yoga incorporates physical, mental and spiritual disciplines.  Yoga has been practiced for more than 5000 years and is more than just a trend according to WebMD.  Some forms of Yoga are purely relaxation, working on your breathing and meditation while other forms of yoga are physical and working on different moves.

Now many people think that Yoga is easy and won'' hurt you.  However, according to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons there are many injuries due to Yoga such as neck, shoulders, spine, legs and knees ... should I be scared?  According to WebMD you should not just jump into Yoga but take classes and learn how to do things properly.  With some of the moves people can feel out of shape, too old or inflexible but I read, "you are never to old to improve your flexibility"  Is there hope for me?

The reason I am talking about Yoga is because I took a class last night.  I belong to the CNY Triathlon club and they offer classes during the winter to keep their members training during the off season.  Last night was the first class of the season, and although not my first class, it certainly felt like!!  I am not flexible and I have to say I am sore today (which I didn't expect).  YOGA IS HARD!!  I am told if I keep at it, it will get easier.  I know there are many benefits to Yoga so I just have to stick with it!!

After I posted a statement on Facebook about Yoga a few of my friends suggested "Hot Yoga" or also known as "Bikram Yoga"!  Hot Yoga is usually done in a room with the temperature set at 105 degrees with 40% humidity.  The heat is supposed to help with deeper stretches and injury prevention while reducing stress.  I find this interesting ... does anyone ever complain about the heat?  I am a winter girl but I may try it!

I am not going to give up, I will keep trying and soon will be a warrior in warrior pose and will be able to hold the tree pose for long than a half second!!

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment