Sunday, November 18, 2012

Just Another Sunday Morning ...

The alarm went off at 6:00 AM (doesn't every one's alarm on Sunday morning?) and I could already tell there was a chill in the air.  I hit the snooze button ... five more minutes please.  My cat Sally looked at me like I was crazy but she also knew if I got out of bed soon then she would soon get food in her bowl.  So like all good fury friends she was encouraging me to get out of bed.  I had told a friend that I would meet her at 7:15 AM for a run at Onondaga Lake Park.  She was scheduled to run for 50 minutes and I was scheduled to run for 4-6 miles or 90 minutes.  She actually runs faster than me but I figured if I at lease meet someone this early in the morning I will get my workout done!  Even though you know you have to train, you know you should train and you are excited about doing future events often times I struggle with the voices of good and evil in my head and on days like today would rather stay under the covers!!

The alarm goes off again and this time the reason I jump out of bed, mother nature is calling!  I begin to get dressed in my winter running layers and head downstairs to make breakfast.  I realize everyone has a routine when it comes to eating before races and/or long runs but I often wonder if anyone eats what I eat?  I have pretty much been eating the same breakfast for the last seven years; 1 egg, 1 slice of low fat cheese and 1 veggie sausage patty all on a multi-grain English muffin.  I know many of you are asking how does she stomach all of that.  Believe me I am the queen of sensitive stomachs but for some reason this works for me.  It sticks to my ribs, it doesn't upset my stomach and I am not hungry during or often times after a long run.

After breakfast I headed out to my car and discovered I had to scrape my car windows ... frost!  Finally I am off Onondaga Lake Park.  I meet my friend and start our run.  Like most early morning runs I am not excited about starting but soon I start to loosen up and sweat and things seem to be moving with ease.  About 25 minutes into my run my friend turn around to head back.  I told her I had to keep going because if I turn around I won't keep going.  Slowly the miles start to go by me.  Forty-Two minutes into my run I hit the 3 mile mark and know that I can turn around and head back.  I think to myself, "I am actually feeling pretty good today" and then it dawns on me that a week ago I was getting ready to run the half marathon in Massachusetts.  Over the next few miles back to my car I kept thinking about how much I hurt during that race and now today I felt great.  Granted this course was very flat but still I was feeling great!  What a difference a week can make.

I get back to my car and happen to finish the 6 mile run in 1:24 so I continue to walk until I get closer to 1:30 or 90 minutes.  And then I treat myself to a chocolate milk!  Oh the little things that get you excited after a long run!  All in a day of training!  Tomorrow I can look forward to a day of rest on the training calendar and then it is back at it on Tuesday!

Are we there yet?

1 comment:

  1. It was awesome running with you this morning Maura! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete