Wednesday, November 14, 2012

"challenging but pretty"

Well today I am writing my blog instead of getting some other things done on the "To Do List".  Actually blogging is on the list just further down but I just moved it up the list.  My other "to do list" items include running and sending out some resumes.  Those will both get done today, but I decided to change the order. 

This past Sunday I ran in my seventh half marathon and I have to admit it was the hardest one yet.  I have often remarked that the Mountain Goat, a local 10 mile run through Syracuse, was harder than any half marathon I have ever completed.  Well that changed after I completed Sunday's half marathon.  I participated in the Monson Memorial Classic which is a fund raiser for two nonprofit organizations.  If you looked at the course map and then checked out the elevation of the course it is higher than that of the Mountain Goat so I shouldn't have been that surprised when I started running on Sunday.  However, I was not prepared for the course I ran on Sunday.  It started up hill as soon as you crossed the start line and didn't stop until Mile 8.  After Mile 8 it did go down hill but was very steep and hurt just as much.  The course continued to guide you up and over some rolling hills until the last mile when you coasted into the downtown area of Monson.

A few days before the event I contacted the race director because I had a couple of questions about the event that I could not find answers to on the website.  After the race director gave me his answers he then went on to say this ... "The course is challenging but pretty, and it looks like great weather! See you tomorrow, and I think you will really love this race!"  Well he wasn't the lying it was challenging!  It was also a very pretty course and I did love the race.  I saw some cows, some pigs and some free range chickens!  I met some nice people along the way, my family was able to join me at this event and I learned a thing or two about myself.

This race humbled me ... I finished the course but realized even though I did 13.1 miles six weeks earlier and continued to train I wasn't ready for this particular course.  I have to train for not only the distance but also the course.  I am not a strong enough runner to just enter a race because I can complete the distance.  I have to be confident in my ability and not take anything for granted.  I have three more months before my next half marathon no time to waste let the training continue. 

Back to my "to do list" list now ... I can cross this off the list today. 

Are we there yet??



No comments:

Post a Comment