Sunday, November 25, 2012

Latest Update

At the start of the Thanksgiving Morning 5K
I can't believe it has been a week since my last post.  I hope that everyone had a fabulous Thanksgiving holiday!  You can never go wrong with Thanksgiving, Food ... Family ... Football!!  And one of the bests things about this Thanksgiving is the fact that the PATRIOTS walked all over the JETS!!!

Well even though we celebrated a National Holiday, that doesn't give us permission to give up on our training!  There is still work to be done.  Monday the 19th started my core training along with some strength training and my body instantly could tell that I had not done that for a while.  I have to admit I am not a big fan of strength training.  I know it is necessary but I get distracted and bored when I am doing it.  It is funny I can go and run for hour or more but if strength training takes longer than 30 minutes I am done.  Well this program took longer than 30 minutes and I was trying to figure out ways to cut it shorter.  I haven't figured it out yet but I will get back to you on that one.

Tuesday I had to set up my trainer in the middle of my living room for a long bike ride.  God I hate the trainer!  It is worse than running on the treadmill.  I was trying to find something good to watch on TV while I rode but nothing was interesting enough to take my mind off of what I was doing.  Riding by yourself on a trainer is a very lonely task.  I haven't been on my trainer since last spring and my gluteus maximus could tell.  A friend of mine posted on facebook tonight a quote from Andy Potts about being "One" with your bike.  I am not quite there yet ... maybe in a few weeks but not right now!  Later that day I went back to Yoga.  Still not very flexible but it went a lot better than it did the first week.  I do enjoy doing yoga, I just find it very hard.  But what doesn't kill me will just make me stronger.

Wednesday was a bike/swim day and then I was in my car heading to Massachusetts for Thanksgiving!  However there is no rest for the weary there is a Turkey Trot to run on Thanksgiving morning.  The 5k event was taking place in East Longmeadow, Massachusetts and all the proceeds of the event were going to the Open Pantry, a very worthy cause.  A few weeks ago I was home in Massachusetts for the half marathon and I shared it with my family and a few friends that I planned to run this 5K.  Well my dad signed up, my friend Catie signed up and my brother signed up with my nephew who is 7.  It was my nephew's first 5K and he did fabulous.  I really enjoyed the course as well.  I ran the course in 37:34 which was my fastest 5K since June of 2011!  I didn't PR the event but I had a fabulous race.  I felt great on the course and I felt strong when I was finishing.  I was really happy with the results!  The best part is the fact that I didn't have to feel guilty about eating stuffing (my favorite) during dinner!

Of course no matter how good you try to be on holidays you always end up feeling stuffed, like a turkey,  after dinner!  I couldn't wait to get up and run on Friday morning.  The schedule called for four miles and four miles I did through the neighborhood I grew up in.  Oh the memories!  It was a beautiful day out ... warm and sunny and I am so glad I took advantage of it because winter was heading our way!!  Saturday I drove back to New York and I was supposed to swim that day but I have to admit I skipped it.  By the time I got back to town, unpacked the car and set up some Christmas decorations I was too tired to head out to the pool.  Don't worry I was honest with my coach and I just skipped this day!

Sunday has arrived ... the final day of the training week and I am asked to run 4-6 miles today.  Before I headed out for my run I decided to jump on the scale ... I wanted to see the damage from the weekend.  I stepped on the scale on Wednesday morning after I woke up because I wanted to see how I was doing.  I hadn't been on the scale in a couple of weeks and I was curious.  I had stayed the same no big major move. I had stayed off the scale because I didn't want the number to dictate my success and I was getting frustrated with how slow it was moving.  So this morning, Sunday, I jumped on the scale again to see the damage and much to my surprise I was down TWO (2) POUNDS!!!  I actually checked the scale three times and all three times the number showed the same thing I was down!!  I was so excited.  I think it put and extra skip in my step as I headed out for my run.  I ended up running 5+ miles at Onondaga Lake Park  (not always the best choice on a cold, snowy and windy day) .  I finished the training week strong and 2 pounds down!  Oh what will the next seven days have in store for me?

Are we there yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment