Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Travel and Training...

Training takes dedication and discipline. And when you travel for your job it takes a lot of extra dedication and discipline! I am a true believer if you really want something you will find a way if not you will find an excuse.

When I am on the road I usually just pack my running shoes because that is the easiest to do on the road. Many hotels don't have pools and those that do they are wicked small, I get dizzy doing laps. And of course most "fitness centers" in hotels barely have a treadmill never mind a bike.

Over the first 11 days of February I traveled to three different cities. I was in NYC, Chicago, and Boston. For all three trips I packed my shoes and many, many layers since it was soooo cold throughout the country. In NY I did a loop of several miles up 5th avenue and back down 6th avenue. For some reason every time I run in NYC my times are really fast...I think it is because I am trying to beat the intersections and avoid the tourist!!

Chicago...my happy place! I was able to run twice through this windy city! The first day was early in the morning just as the sun was coming up. It had snowed the night before so the city was so beautiful as the sun reflected off the fresh snow. It was cold but so beautiful. And you have to love a place that makes clearing the snow on the river walk a priority!

Where the discipline came in on this trip was on Wednesday morning. We were had to head to the airport by 8:30 AM which meant I had to head out before the sun rose. Once again I put the layers on and headed out for my run. Unlike the day before where I watched the sun rise on this morning the snow was falling around me. The city was peaceful but once again so beautiful along the lake! I always look forward to running when I am in Chicago!

A day after returning from Chicago I unpacked my suitcase and repacked for a trip to Boston and once again my sneakers were coming with me. I was in Boston over a long weekend but did my runs in the suburb of Newton. I actually ran along the Boston Marathon route 16 to Commonwealth Ave. There were so many people training both Saturday and Sunday and I discovered that the Newton Fire Station on the corner of 16 and Comm Ave lets runners use their bathroom...always good to know.

I am home for the next two weeks but soon enough my bags will be packed again! Training is always an adventure!!

No comments:

Post a Comment