Sunday, February 25, 2018

How the Olympics Inspire!



February 22 was the anniversary of the 1980 Miracle on Ice. On this same day, the women’s hockey team beat Canada after a 20-year drought. The last time the US Team beat Canada, at the Olympics, was 1998 at the Nagano games in Japan. The other highlight of the day was the men’s curling team beat the Canadian team, which was the Olympic defending champions. The US curling team went on to win gold at the games. And let’s not forget during this past week, that the US women (Diggins & Randall) won the first ever Gold for the US in cross country skiing!

When the women’s hockey team won the gold medal, it brought me back to 20 years ago. I was living and working at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado that year. Many of the 1998 winter Olympic athletes were living at the training center before they left for Japan, including the women’s hockey team. Prior to the start of the Olympics, I was able to watch the last exposition game of the US vs Canada in Colorado. The US won that night and went on to beat Canada a few weeks later for the first gold medal in Olympic women’s hockey. I cannot believe it was 20 years ago, it feels like yesterday. I am excited for 2018 Olympic team, as they never gave up the fight!

As you watch the games, it is obvious that these athletes did not wake up one day and say I think I will try this. It has been years of training and years of early morning wake up calls that get you to the podium, never mind the Olympics themselves. Of course, the 15 and 17-year-old Olympic gold medal winners probably did not get up as many times as the 30-year-old Olympic athletes. Imagine what their futures hold for them. 

I came to terms many years ago that I would not be an Olympic athlete (I wanted to be a downhill skier). However, as I watch the athletes from curling to luge to the biathlon I realize I can continue to train and work to be the best athlete I can be. I can get up before the sun and push myself to do the best that I can. I do not have to compete against anyone else but against myself. I can compete against the doubts and the voices that say I am not good enough.

This past week I have been emotionally and physically exhausted. Between my workouts, work, and schoolwork I was spent. We all will have days or weeks like this, and we have to decide will it beat us. We are all stronger than we think and if it is important to us, we will find a way to get it done.
So when that alarm goes off tomorrow morning will I let it beat me or will I let it inspire me? Will I attack the day to be the best athlete I can be? I will remind myself that each day will get me closer to my goals. I may never stand on a podium but I won’t stop trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment