Sunday, February 18, 2018

I was actually home...

So this week I didn't travel anywhere!! I was able to unpack my suitcase and stay put...I didn't know what to do with myself! On Wednesday, February 14th I took a personal day from work...Oh how I looked forward to that day. It ended up being a beautiful day, the sun was shining and I decided to celebrate life.

I had a speed workout on the training schedule, mile repeats that day. I headed out of my house to complete the workout and that morning the first mile lied to me. I felt so sluggish and did not want to continue but I pushed myself with each step. I didn't pay attention to my times while I was running I just did the run and tried to stay out of my head. In the end I had negative splits. Every mile was faster than the last one and my final mile was one of my fastest. Oh how your mind and body can lie to you!!

Once I finished my run I got changed and headed for the slopes. The sun was shining, it was a bit warm, but the skiing was fabulous. It was the kind of conditions that I love, packed powder, well groomed and a bit granular. Two hours of uninterrupted skiing. I was in such a good space. The best part I couldn't check my work emails. In order to check emails I need my glasses...except I can't ski with my glasses...oh well...the world didn't come to an end!

I finished the day attending a panel of speakers at work who focused on higher education trends, right up my alley. I loved it and the panel was fabulous! And of course after the panel I had to go to the library to do my own school work. It was a great day and I am so glad I took the day off!!

Today I had a 10 mile training run. It had snowed overnight and was a bit chilly compared to earlier this week. It was a pretty good run...I felt good but some miles were better than others. The one thing I hate is when nature calls and I have to find a place to go. When you are running through neighborhoods it is not easy but today I was running near farm fields which don't give you a lot of places to hide during the winter. Sorry...TMI...just things I think about when I run.


A highlight during my run, which happened about mile 6, a beautiful, brilliant red cardinal flew right in front of me and landed in a tree along the side of the road. As I passed by the tree the cardinal looked at me and flew away.

I have heard this saying throughout my life and I believe it. People say that when a cardinal appears there are angels near you. I often think of my mom or other family members who have become angels when I see a cardinal out a window or in other locations. However, today I saw when on my run and at that moment I knew the exact angel that was near me. I think about this particular angel during my workouts and always during races. Thank you Brendan I needed you today and you always know when to show up!

After finishing my run I treated myself to a fabulous breakfast. I was hungry and it hit the spot. I also tried out a new chocolate milk as an award for my workout. I love chocolate milk and it is a great recovery drink. I am a huge Byrne Dairy fan but I may have a new favorite. I highly recommend Fairlife reduced fat Chocolate milk. It was soooo good and soooo yummy. It is low in sugar and high in protein! I use their regular non-fat milk that I wanted to try their chocolate milk and it is a winner!!

I hope you all have a fabulous week. Keep moving and celebrate life!!


No comments:

Post a Comment