Saturday, April 15, 2017

This is a tool...not a fix

Often times I heard while doing my research about my weight loss surgery that this surgery is a tool not the fix. Prior to scheduling one's surgery, a patient has to checkoff a list of appointments and procedures, such as meeting with a nutritionist, attending a support group and seeing a psychologist. When I saw the psychologist I shared my fears that this surgery may fix my inside plumbing but doesn't mean it will fix me mentally and my struggle with food.

Having a smaller stomach is the tool. The stomach is made smaller in order to help you with your weight and to help you lose the weight.You still need to motivate yourself to get moving and you need to make wise food choices. So why am I talking about this?

For me food was my drug of choice. I was/am an emotional eater. Prior to the surgery I struggled with mindless eating. Since the surgery, I find that if I participate in mindless eating, eating too fast or too much, I pay the price, and I get sick. So I have to work on being present when I eat now. I can't just eat because the food is there or I will pay the price.

The other problem I had (still have) was eating, mindlessly, when I was tired. I would find myself eating to give myself energy or because I was too tired to think about what I was eating. This still happens. I have been traveling for work for the last 10 days and between very early morning travels, events, meetings, and just not being home I am confusing my energy level with my hunger level. As I am recording my food intake (using my fitness pal app) I am eating more than I actually need to. I have to remember that the surgery was just a tool but I still have to work hard to have the successes. If I don't take care of myself, I could go backwards and I don't want to do that!

Traveling and work can not be an excuse...I need to put myself first and I am important! Since I didn't have to be up early this morning for an event or meetings (planned event later this afternoon) I went to bed earlylast night (very tired) and didn't set my alarm. I was able to get 8 hours of sleep....heaven!! I hope it helps today but either way I have to be stronger!

I will always be working at this, finding out just how strong I am, and I will see success. I still would like to lose 10 more pounds and I need to work on it every day! I never said this was easy, this surgery was a tool...and I will use it wisely!

#NewJourney

No comments:

Post a Comment