Saturday, April 29, 2017

How do you identify yourself?



Yesterday, I attended a staff retreat for work on diversity and inclusion. We participated in an activity that asked us to list the ways we identify ourselves. The subjects were, race, gender, religion, nationality etc. At the end, there was a line marked “other”, and I started to think about how else do I define myself? In addition to the other identities, these are a few more ways that I define myself Massachusetts Native (aka Masshole), Athlete/Runner, and Bariatric Weighloss Surgery patient.

For some these may not seem important but to me they define me and make me who I am! Of course, the last one is the most recent definition but will be with me until the end of time. Which is a switch from a year ago.

When I was going through the research process of weightloss surgery, I was not convinced that this was the right thing for me. I know I have shared with you my concerns from earlier in my research time. I was afraid of what people would think. I was afraid to tell my family and friends my plans. This of course now makes me laugh. I have been very lucky that I have had such great support. In addition, of course I am not afraid to share my story, I am proud that I decided to have the surgery and with the results that I have gotten so far.

As I shared with you earlier this week, I had an appointment with my surgeon and my nutritionist. It has been 9 months since my surgery and I shared with both that I want to lose 10 more pounds but currently things were moving slowly. They shared that this is normal for the weight loss to slow down but not to give up because it would happen.

My surgeon said that he was fine with me losing the additional 10 pounds but if I did not he was ok with that too. He told me that according to his goals I had reached them so that I hit his goal so any additional loss would just be extra. He shared that his goal was to have me below a 30 BMI and currently I am at 27. He would be happy if could maintain this but he did not discourage the additional loss.

When I saw my nutritionist following the surgical follow-up, she said the same thing and she is thrilled with my results. During my visit, we also discussed my nutrition concerning my training. She suggested that I start to take in a few more calories on a daily basis. The additional calories would be equivalent to an added snack.

I had many questions about training for endurance events post weightloss surgery as my nutritionist did too. She shared that unfortunately, I am blazing new trails and there is not a lot of research or information out there for weightloss patients who are athletes now.  Even for my surgeon and nutritionist I am a rarity. It is time to find my own answers and I hope with what I find I will be able to help future patients too.

Continuing my new journey and wearing my identity!

No comments:

Post a Comment