Wednesday, January 25, 2017

6 Months and counting

6 months ago I had a procedure that changed my life and I will never look back. Every day is a new adventure and some are more fun than others. After having bariatic surgery, I learned very quickly there is nothing easy about this. I had to learn to eat and drink all over again. Although days were not always easy, I would not change my decision. As part of the post-op procedures, you have to learn to eat very slowly. If you eat too fast it can hurt and believe me that is not fun. Funny thing I discovered, when out in restaurants, the thing that makes people uncomfortable is when you put your fork down. You are not actually done with your meal but you are eating slowly. When restaurant staff see this, they think that something is wrong. You explain that everything is fine and that your dinner is great but you can see they are uncomfortable. Try putting your fork down and you will see it too!

Prior to the surgery I had three goals; get rid of my diabetic medication, lower my blood pressure and become a faster runner. So far so good. I have not taken any medication for my diabetes since July and my blood pressure is down. I am also happy to report that I have fallen in love with running again. I actually look forward to my workouts. And yes, I am a faster runner today...but I think I can get faster. This past Sunday I had a long run workout, 7 miles total. I wasn't feeling great and I had to push myself out the door. I started off slow but was determined to finish. when I checked my time and looked at my mileage, I ended up having negative splits! My second half of this run was faster than my first half. I have never accomplished that before!! That made my day!

I am not finished, I still have more miles to go on this journey but I am stronger and ready to face it all. Where will I be in another six months? Where will this journey take me?

Updated numbers:

Down 67 pounds
I have lost 70.6% of my body weight
112/68 blood pressure
90 - blood sugar level (fasting)

1 comment: