Monday, December 31, 2012

Resolutions

Do you realize that when you look RESOLUTIONS up in the dictionary not one definition mentions anything about the New Year?  I looked up the word in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary and also on Dictionary.com and not one mention of the New Year.  According to Dictionary.com the word Resolution means,

"a resolve or determination"
--To make a firm resolution to do something

Making resolutions have been going on for centuries.  They actual have religious origins, when individuals would make promises to their gods.  In 2007 a study was actually done on resolutions and the individuals who make them.  The researchers followed 3000 men and women after they made their New Year's promises and discovered that 88% of the people failed to keep their resolutions.  They did however discover that if you made your resolutions public you were more likely to be successful.

Well over the years I have made my resolutions public and have not always succeeded.  I could think of resolutions or goals that I made over the years that still to this day are not done.  For example for several years in a row I made a resolution to organize my pictures.  I have a bin filled with photos that I have never did anything with.  So I set out and bought photo albums and frames but guess what ... the pictures are still in the bins.  So after several years I finally made a resolution not to put the photos on my list again.  And this is only one example.

So what should I do in order to stick to my resolutions or goals?  Do I make my resolutions/goals public?  Do I just keep doing what I started last year?  Should I only set a few so not to be disappointed?  Maybe I shouldn't set any, that way I don't fail?  However I don't think I could do that because the New Year is a chance at a new beginning!  So what are my New Year Resolutions (Goals)...

  1. I would like to have a new job in 2013!
  2. I want a better finish time (I will keep my actual goal to myself) at the Syracuse 70.3 Half Ironman ... and I will work hard to make that happen.
  3. To continue to lose the weight and inches that I started to lose in 2012
  4. This next one will be tough but by making it public I hope it gets easier...To give up those food items that I don't know how to eat just a serving size ...this would include CHIPS, SNACK FOOD ETC.
That's it for now ... not too many but I think they are doable!  They are challenging but if successful will make such a difference in my life!!

I would like to wish you all a Happy and Healthy New Year!  I hope 2013 is the best for all of you!!

Tri Mo Tri



No comments:

Post a Comment