Saturday, December 8, 2012

Kicking the scale to the curb ...

Recently I have read a number of articles about people who decided one day to lose weight, changed their eating habits and then started walking and lost 100+ pounds in six months!  I read through these articles and at the end of the article my usual reaction is "Really??".  This comment is often said in a sarcastic and frustrating tone!  I have done all those things and I have done a lot more than just walk!  Yet the number on the scale doesn't move and I have certainly not lost 100 pounds in six months!!  Yet I wake up each morning and I keep moving, I keep trying and I keep hoping it will all click.

Several weeks ago the nutritionist I am working with suggested I take my measurements and use that as an indication of my progress.  So seven weeks ago I pulled out the old measuring tape and took the measurements of five different areas of my bodies.  I stored the numbers away and until yesterday I hadn't looked at them.  My coach often asks me if my clothes are getting any looser and I tell him "well they aren't getting any tighter"!  On Thursday evening after a spin class, he suggested I take my measurements again.  So on Friday afternoon the tape measure came out again and I took the measurements of the five areas I had done before and according to my calculations ... I am down a total of 3 inches!!  I was happy to see a change and know that the time and effort I am putting into this is paying off!

No matter who you are, if you are working hard at something you want to see positive results   You want to know that the work you are doing is making a difference.  Yeah I think I am going to kick that scale to the curb for a little while and keep making positive changes in order to see positive results!!

The other positive things that happened this week are the time I spent in the pool; the hours I spent in the saddle of the bike and the miles I ran!  On Tuesday I went to Yoga and although I am still not flexible I was proud of myself  how I pushed my body to try things it has never done before!!  I had workouts this week that although I got through them when I was done, "I was done" ... I pushed myself to be better! Why do all this?  Why push myself?  Why worry about the changes in my body? ... because I want to be better!!

Are we there yet??

No comments:

Post a Comment