Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Wineglass Half Marathon

In less than 4 days I am participating in the Wineglass Half Marathon.  I am excited to do this race for one reason ... I want their medal! Is that a reason to sign up for a half marathon?  This will be my sixth half marathon, and as much as I think it won't be my worse half, it certainly will not be my best half marathon!  This summer I was really focused on my triathlon training so I didn't get all of my long runs done.  I should be OK ... famous last words?  When I start on Sunday morning I am just going to move forward, if I have to walk I walk if I can run I will run and I won't worry about the time!  I will run this race for me and not worry about anyone else.

The Wineglass Marathon is in its 31st year and counting.  Last year was the first year of the half marathon and it was a huge hit.  The Wineglass Marathon course goes from Bath, NY to Corning, NY and the half marathon starts at the half way point of the Marathon.  In the past the medals that they give to the runners have been the bottom of a wine bottle with the Wineglass logo etched in the glass.  I am hoping that the medal for the half is similar!!

The other reason I am excited for this race is ... my hero Joan Benoit Samuelson will be at the event.  Joan Benoit was the first woman to win the gold medal in the Olympics for the Women's Marathon.  In 1984 the Olympic Committee finally aloud women to run the marathon in the Olympics.  And Joan, an American, won won the first medal in the LA games in 1984.  She is a class act who inspires so many.  I met her once at another race in California and I am hoping that I can meet her again!!

Well I will keep you posted ... wish me luck!!

Are we there yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment