Saturday, September 22, 2012

Last Triathlon of the Season

When my alarm went off this morning I hit snooze, laid in bed and then I heard this noise out side.  I couldn't decide if it was wind or pouring rain ... either one wasn't good since today was the 4th Annual DeRuyter Sprint Triathlon.  This was my last scheduled triathlon of the season and no one wants to compete when it is raining or try to ride your bike into the wind.  I checked out weather.com and according to the site it was wind outside and it was blowing at 20+ miles per hour.  I tell you this not because this will deter me from completing the triathlon but now I have to change my outlook for the race.

This particular race is a lot of fun and very laid back.  It is a grassroots run event without sponsors or timing chips but has a very enthusiastic group of volunteers that work very hard.  Even though it is a laid back, end of the year event there are still a great number of very competitive & strong athletes.  The great part about this is that everyone on the course is very encouraging and cheers everyone on as they go by each other.

So today at 9 AM in the morning of September 22nd, the first day of fall, the water temperature was 63 degrees.  I have to say the water was cold, the wind was blowing on the bike course and it started to rain during the run ... but I am happy to say that I had fun and I completed my 5th and final triathlon of the summer.  Unofficially I also took 10 minutes off my time from last year!!

So even though the race season is over ... training is just beginning again!!

Are we there yet??

No comments:

Post a Comment