Saturday, January 23, 2021

When someone believes you can!

 

This week I completed my 6th straight week of strength training. As I have shared with friends before I would avoid my strength training workouts like it was Covid-19! And if I did complete the workout, it was done quickly and half-ass'd. I just wanted to get it over with.

Over a month ago I had a conversation with my coach regarding my workouts and how I was feeling, emotionally and physically, about myself. We decided that I needed to change things up a bit and the most important thing I had to do was commit to a strength training program. Facing challenge #1

After that conversation 3 strength workouts were added to my weekly schedule. And I had to make the commitment. Each day a program was designed for me and one by one I checked them off. I found myself doing things I never thought I would be doing. You know like making a commitment to attempt lunges...Oh how I hate them. Of course when I tell my coach that I struggle with them and they aren't my favorite, you know what happens? More are added to the workout.

One day I showed up in the gym, a quiet evening after work. The student-athletes weren't back on campus yet so I had the whole place to myself. I pulled up the workout on my phone and my coach added "goblet squats" using a 30 lb dumbbell. I chuckled to myself, thinking no way...well to my surprise I did it and completed the set. I shared this with my coach and her answer was simple, "I knew you could do it". 

A week ago another crazy exercise showed up again. This time it was "squats with legs close together" using a 40lb dumbbell. That evening I stared at the 40 pound weight, telling myself I couldn't do it. What was she thinking??? It took me a few minutes but I finally tried it. I lifted the 40 pounds and off I went. The exercise called for 12 reps...I didn't quite hit 12 but I attempted it and ended up with 10 reps!

So the chick who would avoid weight training like the plague, is now doing squats with 40 pound dumbbells. Oh and did I tell you that I even tried box jumps? Usually when looking at those boxes they scream, "I am a accident waiting to happen". I have been doing them, no accidents, and I am enjoying them!!

I still have a lot of work to do but I am feeling a lot better and stronger. Coach Roe thank you for believing in me!!




No comments:

Post a Comment