Friday, January 8, 2021

Commitment to Changes ... not giving up!

This week a memory came up on Facebook from two years ago that I felt was fitting for me today. I posted this message (photo on the left) as I started training for my Ironman. I knew what it would take to do my job, continue with school and train for the Ironman. It would take late nights, early morning and a lot of sacrifice. 

When I saw this post I thought to myself I need to make a commitment to making some sacrifices in order to get things done. When Covid started to take off last March, during that year that we don't ever want to mention again, changes were happening all over. And as much as I never wanted to admit it, covid had an affect on my life and specifically school. Nine months ago I transferred to a new school because my original University closed. I had to continue with my research but it started to get harder. Due to Covid the libraries were closed, which was a place I spent countless hours doing my school work, I know I am nerd. This may seem trivial but not being able to find myself on the quiet floors of the library I found it hard to concentrate on my research. I tried to keep going but my heart wasn't into it 100%. But I didn't want to give up!!

I slowly started to work on my research every day. I started to get back into a groove and I thought maybe there was hope. Well the holidays hit and I thought I will take a week off to enjoy the holidays and the down time. After the New Year I thought I should check my school email and one more hurdle was thrown in my way. My Dissertation Chair resigned from the school and would no longer be working with me. So there I was with my research ahead of me but not a chair in sight. The school and the department has promised to find me someone. They know that this is unfortunate but they are working to make it all work. It is with this obstacle that I promised myself to stay on the path, to work hard and get this done no matter what. Sacrifices will be made but it will be worth it!!

Recently I made commitments to some other changes. A little over four weeks ago I had a conversation with my coach about some physical and emotional struggles I was going through. I was dealing with negative body image. When I looked in the mirror I still saw the very large individual from over five years ago. The individual who weighed over 250 pounds. And no matter what I did I didn't feel good about myself. 

After that conversation Coach changed up my workouts and added three days of strength training. You are probably thinking what is the big deal? Well I am not a fan of strength training. I avoid as much as possible, I have never enjoyed it.

Well I decided to commit to it, do exactly what was listed on the workout, included the lunges, which I dread the most! Today completed four weeks of these workouts and although I still have a VERY LONG WAY TO GO, I am proud of myself for doing what is hard!

When I was in the gym tonight after work, I saw this quote on the wall and I had to take a picture of it. I am showing up! This is the year I will keep showing up...showing up to the gym and showing up to my research! Getting Stronger along the way!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment