Monday, December 31, 2018

Ringing in 2019...what are my goals?

Last year I waited a month before I shared my 2019 goals. I had watched an interview with a woman who shared that she always waited a month before she declared her resolutions. She explained that she took the first month of the year to reflect on the past year. What worked, what didn't and what she really wanted to change. Last year I embraced that suggestion...other than the fact that I call them goals and not resolutions.

For 2018 my word of the year was "work"...going to work, doing school work, and working out. It may not seem like an inspirational word but it was so much of who I was in 2018. I had to balance my life between work, school work and workouts and I think I did pretty well. Looking back on 2018 I planned and hosted some incredible events at work, I held a 3.89 GPA while working towards my doctorate, and completed 13 endurance events. I don't know what my word will be for 2019, I just know I still have a lot of work to do!

I am going to assume that a majority of you know what my #1 goal is for 2019? It will take place 208 days, 4 hours and about 47 minutes from this moment on July 28, 2019.It is my goal to be standing on the edge of Mirror Lake where I will start and finish the Ironman Lake Placid. I have been working towards this for the last 2 1/2 years, as my coach and I mapped out my course.

Of course from this goal every other goal will stem from for 2019. It will take dedication, work, sacrifice, and commitment. As the picture says to the right, my competition isn't other people it is myself. Knowing that I will be training, working and going to school I can't waste time, I need to stay focused.

2018 was good for me. I accomplished a lot and did a lot but I want 2019 to be better. What will it take? This next month will be a time of reflection and putting things into motion. What worked for me last year: morning workouts, heading to work, and then school work at night, will it work for me in 2019. Will it be enough? I am not walking into 2019 naive but I need to do it my way. I also know setting up a schedule may take a few trial and errors until I get it right so my full set of 2019 goals will have to wait and I will get them posted no later than January 31.

I have 365 blank pages to write my book for 2019. Every day a new chapter...a new adventures. I look at 2019 as a new adventure, a new challenge and I don't like to walk away from those.

Looking back on my 2018 adventures I completed:

3 half marathons (PR'ing two of them)
1 full marathon - Philadelphia (so much fun)
Was invited to and competed in the USATriathlon National Championships - Sprint Triathlon
Won first in my age group at the Cazenovia Olympic Triathlon
PR'd the Tipp Hill Run in March (one of my favorites)
Completed another Gillie Girl Sprint Triathlon
Completed another Cayuga Ride for Heart Health Ride - 50 miles

But a few of the highlights in no particular order...
PR'd another Turkey Trot - 4 days after completed the Philadelphia Marathon (I was so cold and my legs were tired...but I did it)
In October I completed the Eastwood 5 miler (another one of my favorites) and PR'd the race by 12 minutes.
In December I completed It's a Wonderful Run in Seneca Falls - surpassing my goal and completed the race with sub-10 minute miles

And finally -- September I completed the Ironman Lake Placid 70.3 -- What a feeling!! You could say I PR'd this race...compared to my attempt at the Ironman Syracuse 70.3 from 2012 (still holds a special place in my heart)!!


I am proud of my accomplishments in 2018. I have so many people to thank who helped me get to this point...too many to list but know I carry you all in my heart! 2019 will be my year! I look forward to what it will bring! I know it will be a lot of work but I am ready to take it on!!

I hope you all have a fabulous New Years!! I look forward to cheering all of you on to your goals!!

Be Safe

Keep moving forward!!

PS: Since I started writing...Lake Placid Ironman is now...208 days 4 hours 5 minutes and 51 seconds!!

No comments:

Post a Comment