Sunday, December 16, 2018

Breaking 10 minute miles and Trying something new

 So two weeks ago I shared with you that I was setting a goal for myself to try and complete a 5K by holding my miles to 10 minute miles. The last time I could run and hold a 10 minute mile was in 2001, 17 years earlier...for so many years I never thought I would ever see that time again.

Saturday, December 8 I had a plan to complete the "It's a Wonderful Run" in Seneca Falls. It is one of my favorite runs. The race begins after sun down, and if it is cold and snowing it adds so much to the event. Well this year I was not disappointed. It was cold and as the sun set the snow started to fall.

I will admit that this race is very crowded and even though they try to separate everyone into estimated times most people line up where ever they want. So the start of the race is usually spent dodging people and trying to get into a rhythm. Things were going well but I didn't know if this race would be the one where I would accomplish my goal.

 As the miles went by and my watch announced my time I was very surprised by what I was seeing but still didn't know if overall my average would be 10 minute miles. As I approached the Main street I didn't care about the people around me, I wasn't competing against them...I was competing against myself and the clock. Well I looked in the mirror that morning and saw my competition. By the time I finished and checked my time, not only did I meet my goal, I actually exceeded it!! I ended up completing the run in 30:56 which was an average of 9:48/mile!!

I was so excited...I couldn't believe it! I never thought I would exceed the goal that evening and I felt great the entire race!! I am hoping that this momentum continues!!

So this week I had one more race to complete in order to close out 2018!! I signed up for the Dash to Distillery 5K in Cazenovia. I was stepping out of my comfort zone to run this race. I have never done a trail race before and I was nervous because I am a Klutz who has been known to break ribs by tripping and falling on uneven sidewalks!! The trail brought you hills, down trees, mud, snow, ice, and everything else in between. I discovered it was easier to just go through the puddles and mud than try to go around it.

I am definitely not turning my road shoes in for trail running shoes but I had fun. It was not easy but I went in without any expectations. I just didn't want to fall and hurt myself! I am happy to report I accomplished that goal and finished the race covered in mud!!

At the race I caught up with friends and met a few new ones too. I will probably do it again but with the goal of just going out and having fun. Some days that is all you need.

Keep moving forward!!

No comments:

Post a Comment