Sunday, January 13, 2019

13 days into training and back to school

I am 13 days into my Ironman training and so far so good. I have a long road ahead of me but 13 days in and I don't hate it and I am still enjoying my bike. I just keep telling myself that every day, every workout, and every sacrifice gets me one step closer to the finish line.

I absolutely love to swim. The water relaxes me and on most days I look forward to going to the pool (or open water). I love the quietness of the swim, the only sound you hear is the water rushing by your ears...it's just you and the water.

For years I would get in the pool and just start the stopwatch on my watch. I would hit start and stop. Just this week I realized that I could break my workout down into intervals on my watch. I know I am a genius!! However, due to the fact that I was doing one arm drills and that there isn't a GPS satellite in the natatorium, the watch did not pick up the additional 50 yards I did. Oh well...the important thing is that I did it.

Saturday I had a spin on my bike trainer 2 hours and 15 minutes and I covered 32.2 miles. Earlier in the week I had stated that I wanted to hit an average 14.0 miles per hour while on my trainer. My last spin I had hit 13.9 miles per hour...so close but not quite.

On Saturday I got on the bike determined to do the workout but not knowing what I had in me and not feeling it 100%. However, as I peddled, I started to push a bit harder and noticed how close I was. I didn't want to miss it again. So I continued to push and by the end I had hit an average of 14.4 miles per hour.

Sunday morning I had a five mile run on my calendar. It was a beautiful sunny winter morning but a bit chilly. I was instructed that the run needed to be an easy 5 miler. Of course the first mile always lies to you...needed to get adjusted to the cold and the uneven sidewalks with the snow. I enjoyed the run, I felt great, and the sun felt amazing. I have another run tomorrow morning...I already peaked at the weather in the morning...the temperatures will be in the single digits. I got this!

As of today I am 14 days days into my elimination diet. After the recommendation of my medical team I started an elimination diet, cutting out gluten and sugar. I have been having some GI issues and they thought doing this diet would help me figure out some of my problems. I have one more week before I start to slowly bring things back in. Surprisingly it has gone very well. there are a few things that I miss...like my english muffin with peanut button before a workout but I am trying new things. Tonight I made homemade granola (sugar free). I will let you know if it tastes good. I am having some tomorrow. After doing this for two weeks I will admit that I have been feeling better. I think the culprit is sugar more than gluten but time will tell. 
Tomorrow I have my appointment with the hematologist for my issues with low iron. They are looking at my Ferritin levels. I am pretty low...in fact I am about 10 - 11 points below the lower end of the range that women should be. I don't know exactly what this all means or what this appointment will be all about. Life is always an adventure.



No comments:

Post a Comment