Thursday, October 27, 2016

3 months post surgery

I am now 3 months post surgery and down 52 pounds. I went for my 3 month appointment today and my medical team is thrilled with how things are going. Yes, things are going really well but I am still not at the finish line. This will be an ongoing race for the rest of my life. As I have shared before this isn't easy, and every day is a trial and error and I am always learning something new. However, as the learning process continues I can be learn to be proud of my achievements and of myself.

This week I took part in a GXT test. The GXT test measures your Oxygen intake and your VO2 max, which helps determine your energy level while working out. Students in the Exercise Science department at Ithaca College help to administer the test and it lasts all of 8 - 12 minutes once you are all hooked up to computers, EKGs etc. Well I completed 8 minutes of the test running a 12 minute/mile pace and finished on a 7.5 incline on the treadmill. During the process it was discovered that I currently have a resting heart rate of 50 beats per minute and I am the 90th percentile of my age group for my fitness level. This made my day and helped me appreciate all the minutes, hours and miles I cover when exercising!

8 mile training run in Forest Park
The next step in my plan is the Princeton Half Marathon. I have just over 1 week left until the race, which will be my 10th half! In fact according to their website I have 9 days 9 hours and 11 minutes! Training has been going really well but I have to admit I am really nervous about this race. There is a 3 hour cut off for this race (14 minute/miles). Although I have completed 5 half marathons under 3 hours, I always had that cushion time with race cut off 3 1/2 or 4 hours. Two weeks ago I finished a five mile, very hilly, race with a minute/mile time under 13 minutes, but my confidence still isn't high. For now my goal will be to show up on the start line, ready to run. If I am cut from the course so be it...but I will be working hard to finish #10!!

Prior to my surgery I asked the doctor if he could make me a stronger and faster runner. He laughed and said he could. In three months I found that I am running faster and stronger and I will be bringing this with me to Princeton!!

Good luck to my friends running the Marine Corps Marathon this weekend. I will be thinking of you!

1 comment: