Sunday, April 21, 2013

86 beats a minute.

In 2001 I was training for my first triathlon and during that process I also lost 50 pounds.  So my days were spent swimming, biking and running.  One day I signed up to give blood at a local blood drive.  As you know when you go to give blood they take your blood pressure but also your pulse.  Well that morning the nurse who was working with me took my pulse several times.  She then pulled out this rules book and checked my pulse against a chart; she took my pulse again.  She then went and got her supervisor who took my pulse.  I finally asked if something was wrong?  The supervisor then asked me, "are you a runner?" I answered yes I am!  She told the nurse I was fine.  Come to find out my pulse was under 60 beats a minute, which could be a problem if you were giving blood.  However do to the fact that I was a runner and active I was fine.

On Monday, after the bomb went off at the Boston Marathon I felt helpless 300 miles away.  As a marathoner and a Massachusetts native I wanted to do something!  I needed to do something and prayers just didn't seem like enough, so I decided to go and give blood.  I arrived at the blood drive and the same process began paperwork, blood pressure and pulse.  However, this time they didn't ask if I was a runner.  My pulse was 86 beats a minute.  I was able to give blood but running (no pun intended) through my head was the fact that my pulse was high and they didn't ask if I was a runner!  Now I have given blood since 2001 but every time they take my pulse I think back to that day in 2001.

I know I wasn't there for myself and I was there to do something for others but it was a reminder that I have to do so much for myself.  Is it weird that I want to measure my activity success by my heart beats per minute?  I am scheduled to give blood again in 8 weeks!  We will see what happens.

Today I end this entry with...
BOSTON STRONG!!

No comments:

Post a Comment