Thursday, July 9, 2020

What is My Why?

I am not searching for my "why" when it comes to my workouts or training. Even though races have been cancelled, running and training has not and I still have goals. I am taking advantage of the time off to really focus on my workouts, despite the hot and humid weather. 

I am still working on the goals I set for 2020 and will see those through. I have already started to think about my training goals and race goals for 2021 and 2022. We may be in a pandemic but as long as I am healthy, I will keep moving.

The why I am searching for has to do with another journey I am currently on. It has to do with another marathon that has a finish line but follows a different course. It has to do with my dissertation research!

I cannot seem to get focused or stay focused on what I need to be doing. At the end of April I had to transfer to a different University in order to complete my dissertation, I believe I have shared this with you. As a result of that transfer I had to take a few additional seminar classes. While taking those classes I put my research on hold. Now that those are done and I got through a move to a new area I can't seem to have the energy to do my research and I have soooooo much to do!!

I need to figure out a way to get refocused and re-energized. I need to find my "Why". I have come so far, spent so much money not to see this thing through. And it is more than the money, I have wanted this for so long!!

I remember when I wanted to start being morning person and get my workouts done early. I worked so hard on that for a few different reasons; 1. I didn't want to talk myself out of my workouts later in the day and 2. it gave me time to get my school work done after work without worrying about my workouts. I shared my plan with people in order to hold myself accountable and each day I would set my alarm early in order to get things done. I then would check-in to let others know I got it done. 

In my current situation I have absolutely no excuses not to get it done. I have some time off and nothing to distract me...yet I find a way to sabotage myself. This is so important to me, I do want this...but I am feeling overwhelmed and wondering where I should start. Where do I begin?

I have to remember my "Why". I have to treat this like my morning goal routine and for a few weeks work on it first thing in the AM. I need to set my alarm and get up early and attack the research. I need to hold myself accountable. I need to keep my eyes on the prize. And in the words of a dear friend, "stay the course". 

Keep moving forward!!

No comments:

Post a Comment