Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Always pack your sneakers...and other news!


I apologize that I missed last weekend's post (May 6). I got home from a work trip and I was exhausted. I started the blog but fell asleep before I finished. I attempted to write this on May 13 but once again back from another work trip and too tired to think!

Running through Princeton
Over the first 13 days of May I traveled for 10 of those for work! I am happy to report, besides the trips being successful for work, I packed my sneakers and went out for run workouts in five different areas which includes; Ashburn, VA; Newark, NJ; Rochester, NY; Newton, MA and Princeton, NJ. Even though I am traveling for work I can still fit my running shoes into my suitcase. It is always an adventure to run in a new area. In fact it is one of my favorite things to do. Map out a new course, get up early (before the tourists) and see a new regional area in a totally different way! How I sight-see is by running through cities, sometimes before the sun even comes up.

On Sunday, May 6, I had a long run on my training schedule. I had to do 6 miles since I had run a half marathon the week before. I mapped out a course and headed out the door of my hotel. I had a few hours before I had another alumni event to attend. While I was running I was thinking about my friends who were running the Mountain Goat 10 miler in Syracuse. I was also thinking about my friend/coach Brendan Jackson and all of his words of encouragement spoken and written. I still couldn't believe a year had passed since we lost him...and just like that a cardinal flew in front of me and landed in a tree that was passing. A beautiful deep red cardinal who arrived to encourage and cheer me on. Many have said a red cardinal can represent the spirit of a loved one coming back to check on you! About a mile further down the road, I saw another cardinal and at that moment I said...thank you Brendan and thank you Mom for checking in on me...it was a good run!

So the day before that long run I got some great news that I need to share with you! On May 5, I was waiting for a work event to start. Our guests had not arrived but we were setup and ready to go. So I took a moment to check my personal email. I received an email from USA Triathlon that stated the following:
"Congratulations Maura! With your finish at Gillie Girl Sprint Triathlon, USA Triathlon would like to invite you to the 2018 USA Triathlon Sprint Age Group National Championship in Cleveland, OH on August 12"

I couldn't believe it. I read it over and over again...I never would have imagined this in my past! I called my coach right away but still couldn't believe it! I checked my calendar and it was clear...it is blocked now as I will be traveling to Cleveland, OH this summer! That evening I got to my hotel room and I registered for the race! I am so excited for this journey, humbled, and a bit empowered! I look forward to sharing it all with you!

So it is now time to give you a little update in regards of my personal challenge to add strength training into my weekly schedule...

The Week of April 29 - I lifted 3 days during the week
The week of May 6 - I lifted 2 days during the week
The week of May 13 ... so far I lifted today...it's only the beginning!

Just remember Keep Moving!!


No comments:

Post a Comment