Sunday, March 18, 2018

Training: Highs and Lows

Why is it one day you have a fabulous training and then the very next day you are counting the minutes until it is over and you have absolutely no confidence in yourself? I have been doing this for many years so I know you always have good days and bad days. And I also know, often you learn more from the bad training days than you do from the good training days.

However, I can tell you it never gets easier. Yesterday I sat in the bike saddle for 2 hours and when it was over I felt strong and proud of myself! This morning I started an 8 mile run but ended up only completed 5+ miles. Now I know that I can complete the 8 miles, I have done it before, and just 3 weeks ago I did 10 miles. Completing the distance isn't the problem, it is listening to the voices in your head.

I will admit that I was not feeling great during the run...I thought I was going to get sick the entire time...which meant I didn't want to take in any additional fuel during the run. I blame the stomach issues on one of three things...1. I ate more than I usually do prior to a run. 2. I ate too fast before the run. 3. I ate too close to starting my run or 4. All of the above (bariatric surgery problems). I didn't end up getting sick but I didn't have it in me to do the last 2 1/2 miles.

At times like this I can tell you that training is very lonely. You are by yourself, you're in your head and you beat yourself up.

Thank God tomorrow is a new day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment