Friday, January 1, 2016

Balance or Searching ... Happy New Year!





Happy New Year! I woke up this morning made my first cup of tea in 2016, sat on the couch with the fireplace going and watched the snow fall outside. It was a great cup of tea! It was a quiet moment in which I started to think more about my goals/resolutions/dreams. Was I ready to take on more or was I more frustrated with the past year? I was staring at a blank page of a new book and wondered what would I do with it? What would I create?

I have thought very hard about whether or not I wanted to do this again this year. The last two years haven’t gone quite my way when I have looked back on what I said I wanted to do. I completed only two endurance events the Rock n Roll Half Marathon in Brooklyn and a 5K open water swim in Lake George. I had my sights set on others but work always got in the way. I have registered for other races this year determined not to have work get in the way ... they do take place on a weekend but we all know I work a lot of weekends.

So I decided I would try it one more time. Maybe this year will be different. My health is always on the top of my list. Last year I dedicated 2015 to one word “health” and one phrase “medication free”. Well I learned a lot about myself and about the disease diabetes, I went into 2015 naive and ended quite frustrated. I am still struggling and fighting my diabetes so yes, “health” is still on the top of my list. I learned it will take a lot more than just creating the phrase “medication free” to get rid of medication … sometimes I want to fight but my bodies doesn’t or vice versa.

So I decided this year I am going to define a few other words besides “health” and hope that they all work together. Perhaps the over arching goal or word of 2016 is "balance"?

1.      Workouts –
a.       I want to complete my workouts in the morning during the week … I am going to work at being a morning person. Rise and Shine ... get out of bed and get to the gym or the pool. This will mean that I have to be more organized at night. Gym bag packed, lunches and breakfast made so I can head out the door.
b.      My goal is to complete 2,016 miles in 2016. Yes, you read that correctly 2,016 miles. I have never actually tallied up all the miles I have covered in the past so I thought why not. I can cover the miles by running, biking, swimming or walking. Yes, it will be hard but I won’t know if I can do it unless I try.
2.      House-
a.       It is my goal to find and buy a house in 2016. I have been looking but this is the year to really put my energy behind it. I am tired of paying rent and I want to own my own home.
3.      Savings -        
a.       Put together a budget and continue to save money which will help me with #2
b.      Pay off debt and limit my spending on a daily, weekly and a monthly basis.
4.      Meditation-
a.       I would like to start meditating on a daily basis
b.      During the last quarter of 2015 I read a few books and articles about meditating.  I read how meditation can help in so many aspects of your life; health, workouts, weight, stress, happiness etc.
c.       As part of meditation I would like to increase my time that I spend reading and knitting. Along with reading about meditation during the last quarter of 2015 I started knitting and reading again.
5.      Finally –
a.       I would like to organize and de-clutter my guest room and office area. Both spaces have become the dumping ground and I can’t take it anymore. Even if I do it one week at a time, one drawer at a time or one pile at a time. I just need to work at it.

Does this list seem overwhelming? Am I taking on too much? If not now when do I do it? This may sound like a strange statement but I feel like I am searching for something but I don't know exactly what it is yet. I am hoping if I work towards these goals they will help me find what I am looking for (in my head I just started singing U2's "Still haven't found what I am looking for"). So is my over arching goal/word "balance" or is it "searching"? Only time will tell.



 


Just in case you are curious about my races, here they are:
Syracuse Half Marathon - April
Right to Run 19 K - May
Tour de Cure 65 mile bike Ride - June
Cayuga Triathlon - August
Open Water Swim Lake George - August
Rock n Roll Half Marathon Philly - September
Princeton Half Marathon - November





Happy New Year ... I hope 2016 is the best yet!








No comments:

Post a Comment