Sunday, November 24, 2013

The weather outside ...

...is frightful but the fire is so delightful, literally.  First big snowfall of the season and I am looking at 5+ inches of snow out my window and the temperature reading of 17 degrees.  I love the winter!  I have been a skier since I was able to walk so I look forward to the site of the first snow flake.  However with winter weather comes indoor training or winter training.

The bike gets put on the trainer and yak traks get put on your sneakers.  I have to admit I like to run outside when it is cold.  You put on an extra layer or two and you head out and enjoy the crisp air.  Just head out and run. And within the first few minutes you warm up very quickly.

In my opinion the hardest part of winter training is getting the bike on the trainer.  Literally setting it up.  It takes so much time.  Getting the trainer out, putting the bike on it and finding the right movie or show to watch.  Once you are on your bike, which is now on the trainer, the challenge begins of staying on it for your entire workout.  You can do intervals to keep your mind entertained, you can watch a movie that keeps you distracted but the only thing that gets you through a bike workout is discipline.

Keeping your eye on the ball; your sites on the finish line.  Telling yourself that this is what will get you through those 56 miles.  Now I am not wishing winter away, my skis and snow shoes are calling my name.  However, you have to do whatever it takes to get through winter tri training because the base you build now will be so important come spring!

Tri Mo Tri ... are we there yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment