Sunday, November 3, 2013

Swim...

As many of you might know every triathlete has a weakness and a strength.  My strength has always been swimming and my weakness has been biking. However recently my running has gone to pots.  After the high blood pressure was detected and I was put on medication and I started having some issues with my breathing.  Come to find out the medication I was on was causing me to have asthma.  After several months of this my endurance went down and it is frustrating.

I love to swim.  It is my favorite thing to do.  I love the feel of the water as I glide through it and the sound of the water going by my ears. I love when I look at my weekly workouts and I see a swim day.  When you love something it is easy to get excited about it.  When it comes easy to you, you want to do it all the time.

Last week I had a swim workout; 150 yards warm up; 600 yards 3 minute rest 600 yards and then a 150 yard cool down.  I had to time the two 600 yard swims and try to get the times as close to each other as possible.  The first 600 I did in 13:20 and the second 600 I did in 13:35.  I was excited about this but at the same time I asked myself why can't I do this when I run?  Why can't my runs come as easily to me.  I am getting frustrated with my run times.

So I thought about this for a while and I talked to my coach and I shared with her an idea I had.  I actually shared this idea in front of witnesses so I couldn't take it back.  I decided that for the next two months I will focus more on my running and less on my swimming.  For the next two months I will not see a swim workout on my training schedule.  My training schedule will be filled with biking and running!!  My coach agreed and I am off and running.

Now I know this week when I am doing hill repeats I will be swearing at my self but in the end I want to see my run times improve!

Are we there yet??


1 comment:

  1. I'm a runner, Maura, but I would miss swimming if I eliminated it completely. I need to work on my biking, but it takes so much time. Enjoy those hills--I promise you will see results at the end of the hard work.

    ReplyDelete