Monday, November 9, 2015

Approaching the one year anniversary ... not a time to celebrate

Friday will be a year since I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. This year has been a roller coaster and on so many days it feels like an uphill battle. I know what many of my friends are thinking, "hills build character". If that is the case then I have built a lot of character within the last 365 days. I will never forget that day as long as I live...the day I heard you are a diabetic. As I have shared with you in the past I was never warned with being pre-diabetic and at that point I had lost 25 pounds and I was an active individual. Since that day I have been scared, angry and overwhelmed. I have lost an additional 10 pounds and I completed a 5K open water swim (3.1 miles) and a half marathon in Brooklyn. I am currently training for another half in April and a 65 mile bike ride in June. I also have my sites on two triathlons and I want to do the open water swim again.

However, in the last few months I have been very lackadaisical towards my diabetes. I have been lazy when it comes to checking my blood ... and when I do my numbers are high and this makes me upset and discouraged. The bathroom scale has not moved much in either direction and this can be frustrating. I continue to move and feel great when I am working out but this doesn't seem to be helping the big problem. I am not saying that I am giving up on it, because I do love the workouts but sometimes you ask yourself I am doing this why?

I feel like I am a hamster in a cage on an exercise wheel going no where!! I am trapped.

Is she frustrated, you ask ... yes I am. I am stuck in a very large corn maze and I can't get out. I am not looking for sympathy, just sharing my frustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment